Ok so our boys are now 3 weeks old! I have been tandem Breastfeeding them since we came home from the hospital. Here are some things I have learned about Breastfeeding twins and even just breastfeeding in general.
1. If one wakes up to eat, wake the other! Keeping twins on a schedule together makes life so much easier. Any time we have just gone with the flow of breastfeeding it has been chaos, either no sleep at all during the night or no one is satisfied or happy during the day.
2. A good breastfeeding pillow is worth its weight in gold!!! I managed to pick up a pillow from the USA called My Brest Friend – Twin Plus. It was under $100 Canadian, and has been amazing. It is available thru Babies R Us and Walmart in the USA. I’m not sure of any other companies that make twin breastfeeding pillows but looking into a good one will be worth it.
3. Visit a Lactation Consultant or Breast Feeding Support Group. Even though I have done this before with our girls, managing two at a time was new. I was able to get an appointment with and LC that specialized in Tandem feeding twins. She told me the whole time I was doing great. She said what I had been doing was perfect to keep up the good work. Now some may think well why go if I was doing ok, but for me hearing I was doing a good job made me feel really good. These first few weeks have been interesting and knowing I was doing a good job at feeding my babies made me feel good. No one should ever feel they can’t ask for help and that even just to be reassured it is always worth talking to someone about. Breastfeeding is not an easy thing to learn, even though it is supposed to be natural. Make sure to have contacts for support, public health, twin and triplet clubs usually have a contact, and don’t forget LaLeche League or your friends.
4. I make sure I have burp pads and receiving blankets everywhere. You never want to be without a clean up cloth of some kind especially with two babies to burp and who spit up.
5. As always with breastfeeding in general drink lots of water and eat healthy make sure to get those extra calories you need.
6. Make sure to have some good Lanolin on hand for when you first start nursing again and new bras that are supportive. I enjoy using some with underwire during the day and some without for night time.
Well mommy brain is kicking in now, I hope I have given you enough help or food for thought when it comes to breastfeeding your twins.
From our happy family to yours!