Here are this weeks Green Tips from my Calendar.
- Compost your kitchen and yard waste: Composting is the natural breakdown of organic matter. If you have a yard look into setting up a compost box. If not see your city or community can start a composting program.
- Buy local food produce, and buy organic: Buying local reduces the eco-footprint of your produce since it doesn’t have to be shipping in from far away. Buying organic reduces the amount of harmful pesticides in the soil.
- When printing documents, use recycled, non-bleached paper: This way, the number of trees cut down are reduced, as is the amount of chemicals used for making regular paper white.
- Use Bio-degradable detergents for your dishes and laundry: Many Chemicals used to make detergents “more powerful” cause damage to terrestrial and aquatic ecosystems where they end up.
- Always carry a few reusable bags: Having a few with you will reduce the need for plastic bags, which can take anywhere from 50 to 1,000 years to decompose in a landfill.
Keep being green everyone and have a great day!