As the twin questions are a daily occurance so is the statement “I don’t know how you do it!”. Well I’m going to share some of my secrets with you now on that. How I survive life in the zoo, because even my own mother mentioned it to me several times when she was visiting, followed by her concern that I did not call more often stressed out.
1. Survival mode – meet your new best friend! For a good chunk of my day I run on survival mode racing from one task to another getting things done. That is the first thing I tell people is that I just do whatever happens to be the most important thing at that moment. It may sound stressful and well some times it can be, but when you are so busy racing around your home you don’t notice it too much and time sure does fly.
2. Organization – you cannot run efficiently on survival mode if you are not organized! Get a good calendar system working for your family and use it! I have a big desk calendar I prefer up on my wall with highlighters. I also am enjoying the app cozi it is free on iTunes and lets me take my calendar with me on my iPod. It also synces to other iPods so hook your partner up as well. I try to live by the saying as well “a place for everything and everything in it’s place” or something like that. Keep things picked up and tidied as best you can during the day so you don’t spend several days doing all sorts of cleaning. So don’t put it down put it away!
3. Do something productive each day over and above the dishes, meals and kids. There is always laundry! Especially if your like me and hang your clothes on the line. Try to think of small tasks you can do easily around the house and do one every day. It keeps things from mounting up and you from spending that coveted free time always cleaning.
4. Find ways to do the things you love while you do chores. I am a huge fan of audio books. I upload them from my library for free and putter away. Sometimes it even leads me to doing more if I’m really into my book. I also sort, fold and work on things to a tv program occasionally. This way I feel like I still get to enjoy the things I love while I stay on top of my home.
5. Set aside to do things just for you. Not multitasking just things you like for you. Scrapbooking, knitting, reading, playing video games, whatever but make sure you get that time. My kids go to bed at seven every night so I can have me time, before I’m too tired to enjoy it. Luckily my hubby works an odd shift so I get a few nights to just me every few nights. When he is home we try to make a date night here and there too since couple time is just as important.
So there! That is what keeps me going and keeps me from going crazy! This is life and I’m just tying to live it the best so we all enjoy it. I also tried doing this blog using my iPod also.
From one crazy person to another.