You know that game you play with friends, if you were any animal what would you be? I think I figured out what animal I’d be. Hold on to your seats… SQUIRREL! Seriously! I’m totally all over the place, chipper, and I store things like crazy for that rainy day. I’d probably be a red one too since they are they most chatty, I do recall being woken by them at the cottage many a times and my grandpa cursing them for that. Anyways I figured this out today doing one of my rainy day activities. We have been having a week of rainy days here so I figure what a great topic, the things we do to keep from climbing the walls.
- Bake – There is just something about rainy and cold days that make me want to bake or cook those long roasting meals. I am also going to start baking larger batches, to squirrel away for sunnier days when I don’t want to heat up the house. So I can enjoy all my home baked goodies all the time. Plus it gives me a reason to try more recipes if I’m going to put half or more in the freezer.
- Playdoh – I used to hate the mess and fuss of it, but it really does keep the girls quiet and busy for hours. 10 minutes of sweeping up at the end it is worth it.
- Painting nails – Diana is just getting into doing her own nails and mine too. We do enjoy sitting on the couch taking turns. I do end up with some very colourful fingers.
- Reading – There is nothing like curling up with a good book.
- Movies – Sometimes we make popcorn and try to have the movie at home experience.
- Puzzles – Diana has always loved to do puzzles and rainy afternoons are perfect for breaking out a big one to work on together.
- A special craft – sometimes it is just finding a craft we have not done in a while or looking up something fun and easy to do online.
- Window painting – Tempura paint + Dishsoap = window paint. I have yet to get to try this one, Dave cringed at this idea so I may have to wait till he is on days to give it a try.
- Indoor playgrounds – when the days have dragged on long enough and everything else is now old we maybe go to our local McDonalds, Ikea or PERC Building for free play time. You can always look to go to your local indoor pools, play parks you pay for, and other places like mini golf or bowling.
- Make a fort – As a kid we loved to do this and forts is a daily thing at our house.
- Board games or cards. As a kid we played board games like pay day and sorry lots, or endless games of war and crazy 8 count down.
- Scrapbooking – my girls are starting to get into this a lot. Who wouldn’t bright coloured paper and stickers.
- Science Experiments can be fun to try as well. We make exploding toilets, and do some cleaning at the same time.
- Dance Videos – pull out your video camera and let your kids make a dance video to their favorite song.
- Play video games together. Why should the kids have all the fun! Really the dishes and laundry can wait.
I’m sure that I have gotten the ideas flowing for you now. I hope this makes rainy days all the more fun. Enjoy!