Ok so yes today is a totally random post. But I’m working up to my 100th blog post and feel that I should save the bigger ones for that. That and I don’t have time right now to research another I have cooking in my mind. So lately there has been talk around our dinner table about the fellas our daughters are chatting about from school. Talk like this worries my husband, I think that it is cute, and well with my history completely normal. So going along with that here are five things you didn’t know about me, and yes they are to do with boys, shocker! PS this is totally PG, and you will either laugh at me and think I’m crazy after this or I may find a few people in the same boat as me. Also be kind with your laughing, I’m bearing my soul a little here.
- When I was about the age of 4 we’ll say I used to literally chase my neighbor around his house trying to kiss him. He was the same age as me and my hero, my first crush and love. Unfortunately he did not feel the same and chose to run from me. At the time I thought it was ok and one day he would stop running and we’d get married live happily ever after and Hollywood would make a movie about us! Sadly this did not happen but he did bring me a Barbie and the Rockers for my 5th Birthday and I can still remember that night when he came over to our new house with his mom to give it to me. (You laugh mom but I do!) It was as close to a box of chocolates and a wedding ring I was ever going to get from him. I cherished it. Then I died of embarrassment when I got to grade 7 and he was in the french immersion program at my school and was cool and I had bangs that started at the back of my head and wore a hot pink sweater something like Mr. Rogers, and was a huge geek. He said hi to me once in a while in the halls and that was it. I was so scared he told all the girls in his class what I used to do. They already teased me enough I really didn’t want them to tease me for that also.
- During Kindergarten I asked a group of boys in my class who was going to marry me. My current sweetheart, someone I had also known since birth (yep different guy), said he would. By 4th grade though he totally denied it. I don’t know if it is a good thing that I have a great memory or not. Anyways I held a torch for him forever until Jr High again when he got cool and I remained a geek. Once he started dating girls I gave up since I was nothing not even close to being like those girls. I kept my childhood memories of him and had to find a new fella to set my sites on.
- By highschool I decided I needed a change I was so tired of being a geek or at least looking like one so I tried to give myself a makeover with a perm and new clothes. It kinda worked, but I spent the year being called Poodle Doo with my curly hair. The first year of highschool was uneventful for boys but by 10th grade I started to show up on the map for some guys. I still have self-esteem issues in some ways because I always feel I have to work to look good. My sister became a teenager and has grown into this striking beauty. She is always turning heads, getting free drinks, and me well not so much. I think I’m pretty, but I’m not a head turner.
- Which leads me to number 4. In highschool I learned that if I was going to keep a man or at least try to my strategy was to go for their hunger. I baked. Yep I figured the fastest way to a mans heart was through his stomach. I learned to cook, and bake. I often baked my guys my grandma’s best chocolate chip cookie recipe. This was my way of trying to buy their love. I baked a lot of those cookies too! They were my best weapon. Thankfully all my culinary skills did work in the end for me. Dave is so grateful for my cooking skills. It only became a problem when he started weight watchers and couldn’t eat as much of my roasts, hams, mashed potatoes, cakes, pies and treats I made him. I think food became my love language, I love to cook and I love to hear praise over my cooking. So when I want Dave to feel special I make him one of his favorite meals.
- Last thing, and really out there. Kind of about love, but I make music videos to songs in my head. Yep I create my own idea of what is going on to a song in my head. Totally strange I know, blame it on the car rides to the cottage. I have a very active imagination, it explains Diana a lot more, and I created these little fantasies to songs while staring out the car window. I still do it. I can even remember ones to older songs I listen to, that I thought up when I was younger. How it ties to love is of course depending on who I was crushing on at the time depends on who I thought of during songs. And now I’m a complete weirdo to you all.
So now that you all think I’m really strange and probably pity me a little here is the famous cookie recipe that I used to bake. Hold it dear to you as it is my grandmas! They are super yummy and always my favorite cookies.
Chocolate Chip Oatmeal Cookies.
- Preheat Oven to 350
- 1/2 cup Brown Sugar
- 1/2 cup white sugar
- 1/2 cup butter
- 1 beaten egg
- 1 tbsp water
- 1/2 tsp of vanilla
- 3/4 cup flour
- 1/ tsp baking soda
- 1 1/2 cups of oatmeal
- 1 cup chocolate chips
Beat first 3 ingredients together, add water, egg and vanilla. Mix in flour and baking soda, once mixed add oatmeal, than chocolate chips.
I bake for 8 minutes I find that is the sweet spot on my oven.