Well between molars cutting, colds and ear infections we have been a tired bunch here. The boys will hopefully start sleeping better once their teeth are in and Davids ear infection is cleared up. Both are being treated for it to be safe. So meals have been on the easy side lately as I have the brain power of a gold fish lately. It got me thinking about meal ideas for Breakfast as it is the most important meal of the day.
Here is what I have come up with. Lots of the obvious but hopefully some new ideas or reminders of a few old favorites.
- Cereal – of course the easy choice. But did you know Cereal is the most costly breakfast choice out there. Think of how many $8.00 – $10.00 boxes you go through in a week. I know we can eat up lots on a good week.
- Fruits – Bananas are the choice here, easy for mom to cut up for everyone or peel. But starting your kids in the habit of having a piece of fruit with breakfast is always a good choice. Oranges are really popular this time of year too. Don’t be afraid to try some new ones with kids, like kiwis, or asian pears (a cross between an apple and a pear and oh so yummy!).
- Toast – Again easy choice. Check out your spread section in the grocery store for some new flavors of jam and new ideas. We are into Apple Raspberry and Apple Strawberry Jams right now.
- Pancakes – You can also make extras to freeze or save for the next day. Just pop in the microwave with a cup of water to heat up. Add blueberries or chocolate chips to the mix for a treat.
- Waffles – Again like pancakes make extra. Pop them in the toaster on days you want them.
- Oatmeal – Mrs. January has a great Oatmeal Recipe on her site that allows you to make your own instant oatmeal like you buy in the packets at half the cost! My kids love it and we eat that mostly now, also I even buy the no name brand quick oats and it is just as good! I make up a huge batch in a Tupperware container and just dish it out to who wants it.
- French Toast – A great way to make the last 2-3 eggs feed everyone. I can usually get 10-12 slices out of that, enough to start us on our days.
- Eggs – Cook them how you like them. Fried, over easy, soft-boiled or scrambled. They are a quick and easy protein packed meal.
- Homemade – Egg Sandwiches. Pick up some english muffins on sale and a cheap back of ham and you are good to go! Throw on a cheese slice and heaven! This was a staple for me while I was expecting the boys.
- Breakfast Quiche – Left over bits of ham, some cheese the last 3 eggs, some milk and voila! A nice hot meal not only fit for supper but for breakfast.
- Cinnamon Buns – A birthday Breakfast must here. I found a great recipe on Allrecipes.com
- Eggs & Bacon – It has worked for Denny’s all these years, you just can’t beat the classic, Eggs, Bacon, Sausage, Toast and Hash brown combos.
- omelets – Another great way to use up odds and ends with an egg or two.
- Smoothies – A great way to get your kids to eat yogurt and fruit.
- Cheesecake! Go Ahead break the rules once in a while. If you feel guilty doing this then be sure to eat a slice of cold pizza ahead of time.
I hope this finds you hungry for something new a breakfast and again I’m always welcome to new ideas.